The waist in men and women is a good measure of the general bodily health. While this has always been the case to a small degree, it is not until recently that health experts have found a correlation between the two. People with slim waist are generally regarded to be healthier. It is so not surprising that women with a small waist are found to be most beautiful in today’s society and fashion world. This article explores waist measurement, its correlation health and ways of maintaining it slim.
Taking a measurement of your waist should not be a complicated affair. It is a good way to find out if you are carrying excess fat around your stomach (abdominal obesity). Excess fat can heighten your risk of contracting cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Steps to take to ensure the correct measurement of your waist includes following the following steps.
1- Find the part of your body that is between your rib cage and the top of your hips.
2- Wrap a tape measure around your waist which is found mid-way between these two areas.
3- Ensure that you breathe naturally before taking the measurement.
Regardless of whether your BMI is fine, as a lady, you should ensure you lose weight if your waist is bigger than 80cm (31.5ins) or more. In case your waistline measures at 88cm (34ins) or more you are at great risk and should immediately contact a physician.
With the waist becoming a major measure of an individual’s health, you may have had the term waist-hip ratio mentioned quite often. Waist-hip ratio refers to the waist circumference divided by that of the hips. Together with the waist circumference, it can be used as a good measure of the distribution of fat around the torso. Waist-hip ratios of 0.7 in women have been found to be strong indicators of health and fertility.
Correlation between Wellness and Waist Circumference.
Individuals with larger waists run a higher risk of premature cardiovascular ailments and death. This is compared to other people who had slimmer waists or those who carried more of their weight around their thighs and hips. Recent follow up studies have now finally confirmed that abdominal obesity increases the risk of type 2 diabetes and stroke.
Although women bodies tend to accumulate more fat around the thighs and hips and develop a pear-shaped body type. It is not surprising to find some that tend to accumulate fat around the waist which leads to an apple-shaped body type. This sometimes occurs even to women with normal BMI measurements.
But what is it with waist fat that makes it this dangerous? Visceral fat or the fat surrounding the liver and other abdominal organs is said to be very active metabolically. It releases high amounts of inflammatory agents, fatty acids, and hormones. This leads to higher blood glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides.
Losing Weight around Your Waist.
Losing weight around the waist can be challenging. It is, however, necessary to understand the grave situation you are putting yourself by allowing your body to put up excess fat around the waist. The following steps can help you if you are seeking to cut abdominal obesity.
1. Carrying excess weight around the waist is a sign you are consuming more calories than you need. To bring it down, it is important to reduce your intake of fast food, soda, sweets, and other sugary beverages. This is as well as refined carbohydrates like white pasta, white bread, and white rice.
2. You should also make it a habit to eat carbohydrates from healthy sources, low-fat dairy, and lean protein. Foods with a low calorific value and high contents of water and fiber such as vegetables are also recommended.
3. Ensure that you engage in 30 t0 40 minutes of cardio exercises that target all your major muscle groups is also necessary. You should also ensure that you do some resistance training at least two times per week.
4. Drinking lots of water especially when you feel a craving for high-calorie foods and before meals is also effective in reducing waist circumference.
5. Ensuring that you sleep for at least seven to nine hours each night as well as taking steps to reduce your stress level works like charm on your waist. You can reduce stress by also practicing yoga and meditation. This will lead your body to produce lower amounts of the stress hormone cortisol which in high amounts lead to an expanding waistline.